The Copenhagen Bioscience PhD programme of the Novo Nordisk Foundation recruits up to 16 motivated international students annually to launch their careers in the vibrant scientific environment of the Novo Nordisk Foundation Research Centers in Copenhagen. For enrolment in September 2019, applications will be open from October to December 2018.
Selection is based on academic achievements, research experience, academic references and interviews. A mandatory interview visit for up to 40 shortlisted applicants comprises panel interviews, one-on-one meetings with potential supervisors, and tours of the four Novo Nordisk Foundation Research Centers, and will take place in Copenhagen in March 2019. The Novo Nordisk Foundation will pay for travel and accommodation for selected applicants in association with the interview visit.
The programme offers support finding accommodation in the city centre of Copenhagen for the first year.
The four-year programme is divided into a pre-doctoral year followed by three years of PhD training at one of the four Novo Nordisk Foundation Research Centers embedded at the University of Copenhagen or the Technical University of Denmark:
The pre-doctoral year includes short rotation projects, choice of a lab for the long-term (PhD) project, and common research-based courses. Approximately 15% of time during the pre-doctoral year is spent on courses, and the remaining 85% on lab-based research. All awardees must pass an assessment at the end of the pre-doctoral year to qualify for the following three years of PhD education.
All students in the Copenhagen Bioscience PhD programme complete three two-week rotation projects at the start of the pre-doctoral year. These rotation projects allow students to gain experience with the methods, important scientific questions and research environment in the labs they are interested in joining. During each rotation project, the student and supervisor are expected to discuss potential long-term project ideas. After completing the three rotation projects, the student makes an agreement with one of their rotation supervisors to join their lab for the long-term (PhD) project.
For more information about the pre-doctoral year and courses, see the programme website.
By submitting this application, applicants apply primarily to the Copenhagen Bioscience PhD programme, and also pre-select one of the four Novo Nordisk Foundation Research Centers. Each Center conducts research in several research areas around a central theme within biotechnology or biomedicine. More information about research areas can be found on the programme website and the Center websites (see links above).
Applicants are required to explain their interest in particular supervisors and/or research topics in the application form. Potential supervisors and projects are listed on the programme website.
Link to: POTENTIAL SUPERVISORS
The CPH Bioscience PhD programme is designed for international talents to come to Denmark and start their research careers at one of the NNF Research Centers.
Applicants must fulfill the following criteria:
Full salary and tuition fee will be covered by the Novo Nordisk Foundation. Funding for the first year is awarded unconditionally to all successful applicants. Funding for the following three years is awarded conditionally, to be approved following a successful qualifying assessment at the end of the first (pre-doctoral) year. Up to sixteen positions will be funded for a programme start in September 2019. Applicants of all nationalities may be awarded funding, provided they fulfill all of the eligibility criteria.
For more information, see the programme website.
Applications must be completed and submitted using the Novo Nordisk Foundation electronic application system.
Once signed up and logged in at the Nov Nordisk Foundation grant administration system, you can find the Copenhagen Bioscience PhD Programme call for applications under the ‘Copenhagen Bioscience’ tab.
All complete applications submitted are reviewed by a committee of Group Leaders from the Novo Nordisk Foundation Research Centers.
Applicants can expect a reply from the review committee in February 2019.Dossier de candidature