- Degree Level: The Hong Kong PhD Fellowship scheme offers funding for PhD Programmes only.
- Available Subjects:
Eligible PhD Programmes offered by participating institutions. For details of PhD programmes offered by individual institutions, please refer to their respective websites (links found below).
The HKPF, funded by the RGC (Hong Kong Research Grants Council) supports the awardees to pursue their PhD studies at seven UGC-funded institutions in Hong Kong:
• City University of Hong Kong
• Hong Kong Baptist University
• Lingnan University
• The Chinese University of Hong Kong
• The Hong Kong Institute of Education
• The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
• Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
• The University of Hong Kong
Scholarship Benefits: The Fellowship provides an:
- annual stipend of HK$309,600 (approximately US$39,700)
- and a conference and research-related travel allowance of HK$12,900 (approximately US$1,700) per year for each awardee for a period up to three years.
For awardees who need more than three years to complete the PhD degree, additional support may be provided by the chosen universities. For details, please contact the universities concerned directly.
* Universities in Hong Kong normally start their academic year in September.
- Eligible Nationalities: The Hong Kong PhD Fellowship is open for International students from around the world.
- Eligibility Criteria:
Those who are seeking admission as new full-time PhD students in UGC-funded institutions of Hong Kong, irrespective of their country of origin, prior work experience and ethnic background, should be eligible to apply.
Applicants should demonstrate outstanding qualities of academic performance, research ability / potential, communication and interpersonal skills, and leadership abilities.
- Application Procedure:
Eligible candidates should first make an Initial Application online through the Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme Electronic System (HKPFSES) to obtain an HKPFS Reference Number by 2 December 2019 at Hong Kong Time 12:00:00 before submitting applications for PhD admission to their desired universities.
Applicants may choose up to two programmes / departments at one or two universities for PhD study under HKPFS 2020/21. They should comply with the admission requirements of their selected universities and programmes.
As the deadlines for applications to some of the universities may immediately follow that of the Initial Application, candidates should submit initial applications as early as possible to ensure that they have sufficient time to submit applications to universities.
Step 1: Submit initial application to Research Grants Council
Step 2: submit full application to the university/institutions