Uppsala University is a comprehensive research-intensive university with a strong international standing. Our mission is to pursue top-quality research and education and to interact constructively with society. Our most important assets are all the individuals whose curiosity and dedication make Uppsala University one of Sweden’s most exciting workplaces. Uppsala University has 42,000 students, 7,000 employees and a turnover of SEK 6.7 billion.
The PhD Programme at the Department of Economics prepares you both for a career in academia as well as for qualified positions in government ministries and agencies, international organizations and the private sector. Our alumni hold important positions throughout society. The Department’s supervising capacity is particularly strong in labour economics, macroeconomics, political economics and public economics. We offer an intellectually stimulating research environment with several research seminars each week and a large flow of international guests.
Special admission requirements: In addition to the general admission requirements, the applicant must have at least 90 ECTS-credits in economics (three semesters), or have acquired the equivalent knowledge in some other way in Sweden or abroad.
The admission requirements apply at the date of admission, not at the date of application. Students expected to fulfill the general and special admission criteria by early August are welcome to apply.
1. Personal letter (max. two pages) in which you describe why you want to enroll in the PhD Programme in Economics at Uppsala University and where you state the fields within economics that are of primary interest to you.
2. Attested copies of all qualifications, including all completed academic courses and academic degrees.
3. Copies of essays that you have authored.
4. A CV.
5. Contact information for two academic references (address, email address and telephone number).
6. The GRE test result is sent directly to the department. GRE: school code 0247, dept. code 1801. Please note that the GRE test is mandatory.
We strongly recommend that foreign applicants take the TOEFL test or the IELTS test and ensure that the result of the test is sent directly to the department:
Department of Economics
SE-751 20 Uppsala
Phone: +46 18-471 0000
TOEFL: inst. code _7996
IELTS: no inst.code
Uppsala University strives to be an inclusive workplace that promotes equal opportunities and attracts qualified candidates who can contribute to the University’s excellence and diversity. We welcome applications from all sections of the community and from people of all backgrounds.
For further information about the position, please contact:
Admission officer for Graduate Studies: Erik Öberg, [email protected]
Director of Graduate Studies: Mikael Bask, [email protected]
You are welcome to submit your application no later than February 1, 2019, UFV-PA 2018/4267.
We decline offers of recruitment and advertising help. We only accept the application the way described in the advertisement.